Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I'm Back in the Saddle Again

Now that the 4th of July holiday has passed, I'm ready to get back to my routine. Amazing how one day can cause so much disruption to a schedule.
 
 
Prior to the holiday, I did manage to finish making all those bias binding strips I've been working on.
 
 


Nine different prints of bias binding. Unfortunately, someone changed my camera settings so the picture isn't very good and doesn't highlight the different prints. I used one yard of fabric for each print.
 
 

 
Each yard of fabric provided eleven yards of binding. Isn't that quite the collection? Bias binding is so forgiving and easy to do and if you'd like to learn some of my tips, I wrote a tutorial for making bias binding back in October 2009 you can reference: Bias Binding Tutorial
 
In an earlier post I mentioned I signed up to participate in a Quilt-Along hosted by Quilting Gallery with the focus of aiming for accuracy. Although I'm an experienced quilter I thought it would be fun to participate and I think it's good to review the basics because sometimes, in our rush to finish a project I think we sometimes forget these basics in an effort to save time. So I've been working on selecting fabrics for this Quilt-Along, this is what I've selected so far:
 
 
Above is my first section of fabrics, but I wasn't happy with my selection and modified my choices with these:
 
 
 
The pattern requires 24 fat quarters and one background fabric. My goal was to use only what is in my fabric resources, but I' hit a snag. For the background fabric, I need 3.5 yards and I discovered I have a lot of prints but nothing that reads as a solid in this yardage which means I'll have to purchase it. What I'm thinking is to find a tone on tone print in either black, red, or green for a good contrast. I'm leaning towards black though because it will work with any of the prints I've selected above.
 
 
 
And so, today I leave you with a picture I took of a sunset I watched the other day. Isn't it spectacular? I'm so fortunate to live in such a beautiful community, surrounded by mountains and water. I'm truly spoiled!
 
So what's going on in your world?
 


4 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wonderful fabrics - and superb bindings - what a big project. I find making bindings one of the tedious jobs, but it must be done or there is no finishing a quilt.

Can't wait to see the new quilt.

Janet said...

You're so organised! Have you made the bindings for specific quilts or is it for stashing? Loving the cheerful fabrics you've pulled for your next project.

Ivory Spring said...

Such happy fabrics, Dena! Happy Quilting.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Hi Dena! I, for one, am delighted you're back to blogging, again! But I am writing to let you know that I think a spammer/virus got a hold of your email. Two of my email accounts got spam that most likely was viral from your name and I doubt it was you. It's super common, often comes out of someone whose own account was compromised, their list of contacts all infected etc. We have it all the time on message boards. Check with your email friends and warn people..on your blog is what most bloggers do to avoid email..not to open any emails from you that begin with a link and not a message, reset your password and run all of your anti virus programs. I have gmail so I can see the first bits of each email so I didn't open them but others usually will click on links and sometimes just an opening of the email sets off the trigger. Thought I'd let you know. Delete this comment if you want but I didn't want to contact you by email. big hugs for the mess..it's happens to so many people online lately..yahoo actually had to warn its users it was so infected last month or so!